By Rob Morse
Louisiana- (Ammoland.com)- The Obama Administration's gun-running operation called “Fast and Furious” is back in the news. The Obama administration handed thousands of guns to Mexican drug gangs starting back in 2009. Now, after years of delay, District Court Judge Amy Berman ordered the Department of Justice to produce the documents Congress requested. The DOJ finally produced them, some 20 thousand pages in April 2016. These documents show the corruption we’d always suspected, and more.
Here is a short history lesson before we describe the most recent revelations. The Obama administration used the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the State Department to run over 2000 guns to Mexican drug gangs. Those guns killed hundreds of Mexican citizens and several US border guards. The fast majority of the guns were never recovered. None of the leaders of the drug gangs were ever arrested. Equally significant, no government employees were ever charged for breaking US firearms laws. President Obama claimed that all the documents about Fast and Furious were covered by executive privileged.
The Obama Administration refused to release documents when the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform first tried to investigate the gun-running scandal. Recent documents show the extraordinary lengths to which senior Department of Justice officials went to keep information from Congress. Further, the documents revealed how senior officials, including US Attorney General Eric Holder, intensely followed and managed the effort to limit and obstruct the trickle of information that was delivered to Congress.
We now know Attorney General Eric Holder and his subordinates did this-
- They deliberately claimed the charges of gun-walking in Arizona were false even after documents and evidence showed otherwise. The DoJ thought “the big lie” would work .. with the help of Socialist Politicians and the mainstream media.
- The Obama administration politicized decisions about how and whether to comply with the congressional investigation. Partisan Socialist politicians continue to delay, deny and discredit the investigation even today.
- The US Department of Justice carefully, methodically, and deliberately withheld relevant information about the scandal from Congress and the public.
- The DOJ tried to isolate the fallout from the Fast and Furious scandal to ATF leadership and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona .. even though the senior Obama officials knew about the operation all along.
- The Obama administration called itself the most transparent administration in history, yet it created a toxic culture of animosity towards congressional oversight. Holder lied while testifying before congress.
This is only the tip of the iceberg on Obama corruption. We know that at least one US Border Patrol agent was killed with these Fast and Furious weapons because the murderer’s gun was recovered at the scene. The serial number on the gun was later traced back to Fast and Furious records. We will never know how many other US citizens and Mexican citizens were murdered by Obama Guns because the criminal simply took the gun with him as he escaped.
There is widespread corruption and collusion between the Obama Administration and the left-leaning media. The Fast and Furious scandal cost investigative journalists Sharyl Attkisson her job at CBS when she tried to report on Fast and Furious. The politicized CBS management didn’t want the scandal made public before the 2012 elections. On a personal note, we should also recognize the significant role that bloggers David Codrea and Mike Vanderboegh played in documenting Fast and Furious. I’ve met them both. These two alternative media bloggers listened to outraged ATF agents who hated giving guns to criminals.
Finally, the scandal and cover-up aren’t over. Socialists in Congress, and their political supporters in the mainstream media, repeatedly told us that this investigation was only partisan muck-raking by racist Republicans. It wasn’t then. It isn’t now. Evidence shows that whistle-blowers were right all along. Gun shop owners and agents inside the ATF raised red flags of alarm. The media hid Obama’s corruption so they could advance their personal political agenda.
How long will we put up with lies from the Obama Administration supporters, and from the Obama Administration it self?
Rob Morse: Rob writes about gun rights at Ammoland, at Clash Daily and on his SlowFacts blog. He hosts the Self Defense Gun Stories Podcast and co-hosts the Polite Society Podcast. He is an NRA pistol instructor and combat handgun competitor.