National Shooting Sports Foundation Calls for ATF Investigation Of ‘Under the Gun’

Stephanie Soechtig and Katie Couric
Stephanie Soechtig and Katie Couric

National Shooting Sports Foundation

NEWTOWN, Conn. -(Ammoland.com)-  Editors Note: [The National Shooting Sports Foundation has issued the following statement regarding the recent admission by “Under The Gun” producer Stephanie Soechtig that she appears to have violated multiple Federal Gun Laws.]

Journalists and filmmakers investigating what they see as shortcomings in laws are not absolved of their responsibility both to gain the requisite understanding of how those laws work and to abide by them.

We have to point out that it would appear that a producer of the Katie Couric documentary “Under the Gun” committed at least four federal felonies, one for each firearm he appears to have illegally purchased since the individual was not a resident of Arizona where he purchased the firearms.

He may have also violated state criminal statutes. And, If Ms. Soechtig, the film’s director, sent him to Arizona to make these firearms purchases, as the tape appears to suggest, she may be guilty of engaging in a conspiracy to violate federal firearms laws and/or aiding and abetting the commission of these crimes her producer engaged in.

We also have to ask what, if any, involvement did Ms. Couric as executive producer have in these purchases?

The NSSF calls upon the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to open a criminal investigation into this important matter.

About NSSF:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 6,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers.

For more information, log on to www.nssf.org.

Gregory Romeu
Gregory Romeu

The bottom line it is the responsibility and the duty of We the People to maintain each and every elected or appointed official that’s in office and we need to watch them like a hawk rather than watching sports or what Kim Kardashian is doing with her fat ass. You keep your eyes on every move your officials make because they took an oath of office and your state constitution dictates that if they violate that oath of office it is the responsibility and the duty of the citizen to remove those corrupt officials from Office through grand jury indictment… Read more »

Wesley Felix
Wesley Felix

I hope they look into it. But as for our request when our assault rifles were stolen, resold and given away by a person not allowed nor authorized, ATF did nothing

Lew
Lew
Reply to  Wesley Felix

Wow a full auto was stolen and the BATF did nothing

Longbow
Longbow

Ain’t nuthin’ gonna happen. Perky Katie and ATF are on the same side.

FriedNads
FriedNads

If this just fries your nads you may report Couric, Soechtig, et al on the ATF Tips Hotline, https://www.atf.gov/contact/atf-tips Maybe if enough tips are received this will at least force the ATF to respond.

Gene Ralno
Gene Ralno

I’ve often thought of going to gun shows in other states and buying stuff if the price is right. After further thought, I’m now thinking such reciprocation might complicate the issue by broadening the interpretation of the Commerce Clause for federal intrusion. Since I’m not a lawyer or even well-schooled in legal matters, it seems prudent for me to limit myself to home state gun shows. As a private carry licensee, sellers don’t need a background check, but I’d bet some do it anyway. Besides, I suspect the sales are just as good here as they are in other states.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Gene Ralno

Gene, don’t deprive yourself of the experience of going to the Wannenmacher gun show in Tulsa. Eleven acres of guns, goodies and good people. Even if you don’t buy a thing, it is a great time. My favorite is the rare cartridges table at 19C upper deck. See you there, sometime!

Gene Ralno
Gene Ralno
Reply to  Wild Bill

Come to think of it again, it might be a great weekend since I’m also looking for a non-cut-down WW II M1 bayonet, etc. Lefties haven’t regulated interstate militaria yet. If Slick Hilly is elected, perish the notion, we’ll see colossal and unbridled commerce of all kinds of firearms, perhaps making shipment to a local dealer more palatable. I wonder if the next date for this show, four days after the election, was planned.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Gene Ralno

I don’t know if it was planned but the outcome of the election will play a big part in my buying plans.

Gene Ralno
Gene Ralno
Reply to  Wild Bill

I plan to upgrade before the election because I’d guess the prices of brands and models I seek will remain stable. In the event that Trump wins, I’d not expect prices for these items to decline. But if Slick Hilly wins, seems likely that the demand for lower priced stuff will rise and only later push the high end up. But my reason for spending a weekend in Tulsa is mostly curiosity. I’ve heard it’s pretty spectacular.

Gregory Romeu
Gregory Romeu
Reply to  Wild Bill

The Wannenmacher Gun Show in Tulsa is a MUST DO for ANYBODY interested in guns and militaria! You can purchehase ANYTHING from a derringer, guns of ALL types on up to a full blown MaDeuce! (Class III Dealers). But be prepared to spend every minute on both days if you intend to TRY try each table! One year I had a couple of tables at this show while there was an Anti-Gun protest happening about a mile south of the Show… I went out front and walked the looooong line of gun show attendees waiting to get in and passed… Read more »

Lee
Lee

They are both a couple of liberal morons.

Infidel7.62
Infidel7.62

Don’t you know the law doesn’t apply to rich libtards. The ATF will not do a thing.

Eric X Equis
Eric X Equis

Burn em! Teach these stupid libtards that there are already some 20,000+ gun laws on the books that infringe on our right in one way or another. PROSECUTE them and maybe the next POS show they produce will be from prison crying about how gun laws are unfair and unjust. That asstard David Gregory got away with a felony bringing a standard cap (30rnd) magazine into the Socialists People’s District of Columbia… quit making these media elites immune from the laws you impose on the rest of them! Prosecute Couric and Soechtig for violating the law… hell, you have the… Read more »

Don Carlson
Don Carlson

Go NSSF! Katie and crew made this documentary with the intent to get more restrictive gun laws passed. Gun laws that us law abiding gun owners must be aware of and comply with. I don’t think it’s too much that Katie and crew are charged with complying with existing laws. Everybody is equal under the law but some are a little more equal right?

fishunter
fishunter

The court should order a new “Under the Gun Part II, The Truth”, where Katie Couric personally must tell of the schemes involved and those who participated and how they participated. She must also ask for forgiveness from the NRA and its individual members as-well-as all the people of the US and the world who were deceived by her film. The film must then be put away with orders to never show it again. The television station should have to pay a fine to be determined by the courts and promise never to show something similar, regardless of content, until… Read more »

Kennedy
Kennedy
Reply to  fishunter

It wasn’t the NRA in the video it was the VCDL

Vanns40
Vanns40
Reply to  Kennedy

Another question, just out of curiosity, why will Cam Edwards, on his NRA broadcasts never, ever, mention VCDL? He could have interviewed the President of VCDL but refused to do so or even mention them. At some point we have to realize that we’re all in this together.

Laddyboy
Laddyboy
Reply to  Vanns40

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles
Charles

can you say “executive pardon” ?

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Charles

, there has to be a conviction before there can be a pardon.

Bill in Lexington,NC
Bill in Lexington,NC
Reply to  Wild Bill

One can always hope …

Tom
Tom

I hope there is some law inforcement officer that will take this matter up and inforce the law.

Dan Frain
Dan Frain
Reply to  Tom

Don’t hold your breath. They are media darling Democrats

Eric Newsom
Eric Newsom

Funny. These idiots figured if they could actually buy the guns, it must be legal. Bwhahhhhaah! They didn’t even bother to check out the actual law. This is so much of the problem with the gun controllers, they don’t even know what the current gun control laws are, which are sufficient and rather strict. I hope they are prosecuted as and example of how stupidity is no excuse.

Robert Hartwig
Robert Hartwig
Reply to  Eric Newsom

How is any gun owner supposed to know what the laws are???? There are so many and change or evolve so fast it is impossible to know them all. In Californicate they are about to pass so many new laws that ban weapons I have Legally registered I will be forced to move them to my Arizona residence.

Don
Don

Perhaps the Arizona state AG could bring charges against them…

george
george

They both look pretty goofy, that would be the first clue of distrust the minute they walked into the store.

Doug Hansen
Doug Hansen

How about prosecuting David Gregory first for the illegal 30 round mag in D.C. Ok, I’ll be lenient, do them at the same time. Thank you.

hippybiker
hippybiker

Remember that “Dirt Bag” Television reporter who had the 30 round banned AR mag in DC? The same thing that happened to him will happen to these Dirt Bags. Nothing!!
and, that’s a F*cking shame, but that’s the corrupt administration in this country.

DirtyHarry44
DirtyHarry44
Reply to  hippybiker

David Gregory, I remember.

Matt in Oklahoma
Matt in Oklahoma

Liberals don’t prosecute supporters do nothing will happen

Mike
Mike

Don’t forget the 4 straw purchases.

Tog
Tog

lol now that is comedy. Although you can purchase a long gun in another state, just not a hand gun. I’m more concerned about it being a straw purchase for the producer lady.

The Old Coach
The Old Coach
Reply to  Tog

Any gun you buy outside your state of residence must go thru an FFL. SOME states allow that FFL to be the selling FFL in an another state. Some don’t. I can buy in an adjacent eastern state, but I can’t buy in, say, Idaho, even if it’s from an FFL.
These clowns violated the Federal law by buying privately in another state.

Tog
Tog
Reply to  The Old Coach

wow, in that case yeah throw the book at them. I bet they wont due to them being in the libtard “special class”. Would be ironic though.

Robert Hartwig
Robert Hartwig
Reply to  The Old Coach

According to an ATF agent I talked you are considered a resident of a state if you have a home or residence in that state and are there for 24 hours prior to the sale. I asked him three times and he said that is what Federal law says. I have a home in Az and spend a good part of the year there and have a Az resident Id and CCW license. Because of this I can buy both in California and Arizona.I never take a firearm I bought in Arizona to California because they are such as*hol*s here.

Valerie
Valerie

Fix your typo….firearms not forearms. 🙂

TEX
TEX

In Texas we do call firearms forearms sometimes !

dan
dan
Reply to  TEX

Cannons, and Big Guns too.

TEX
TEX
Reply to  dan

Yep !

ChristCrusader
ChristCrusader
Reply to  Valerie

The right to bare forearms