Each year, magazine editors and readers pick their favorites of everything from western apparel and firearms to historic forts and cemeteries.
A compilation of all the votes determines the Editor’s Choice Award and the Reader’s Choice Award in each category.
For 2017, the Center earned the following:
- Readers' Choice Award for Best Western Museum
- Readers' Choice Award for Best Western Art Gallery (Whitney Western Art Museum)
- Editors' Choice Award for Best American Indian Collection (Plains Indian Museum)
- Editors' Choice and Readers' Choice Awards for Best Commemorative Rifle
- The award-winning rifle is the Center’s Centennial Winchester 1873, currently being crafted in partnership with Navy Arms to celebrate the Center of the West's 100th anniversary.
The editors also chose the City of Cody as Best Old West Art Town, the Irma Hotel as Best Heritage Hotel, and Rocky Mountain Dance Theatre’s inaugural Buffalo Bill Wild West Show as Best Wild West Show.
“Once again, we’re honored to be in such good company on True West’s ‘Best of the West’ lists,” says Marguerite House, the Center’s Acting Public Relations Director. “The Best of the West is special since it incorporates the reader perspective, too. All told, Wyoming scored 14 spots on True West’s ‘Best of’ list—that’s quite a compliment to our state! And for us, we count True West as a real partner in our efforts to celebrate the Spirit of the American West.”
Other past awards from True West for the Center of the West include:
- 2016 Top Western Museums, third place: Cody Firearms Museum
- 2016 Top Western Art Museums, second place: Whitney Western Art Museum
- 2015 Top Western Museum: Buffalo Bill Center of the West
- 2015 Top Western Art Museums, fourth place: Whitney Western Art Museum
- 2015 Best American Indian Collection: Plains Indian Museum
- 2014 Top Western Museum: Cody Firearms Museum
- True West is the world's oldest, continuously-published western American magazine. With its simple mission to “preserve the American West,” the publication launched in 1953 and is headquartered in Cave Creek, Arizona.
About The Buffalo Bill Center of the West:
Since 1917, the award-winning Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming, has devoted itself to sharing the story of the authentic American West. The Center, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is currently operating its winter schedule, open Thursday – Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., closed Monday – Wednesday.