Comments by Philip Van Cleave : Opinion
Virginia – -(Ammoland.com)- Virginia Citizens Defense League sends its very sincere condolences to the families and friends of those hurt or murdered at the festival in Las Vegas on Sunday night and pray for all affected by that tragedy.
I avoid commenting on such events until I have enough facts to do so.
Here are some thoughts at this point:
* Gun control: the gun-grabbers are calling for more gun control (surprise) because of 50 victims in the Las Vegas attack. BUT, France has every gun-control law the gun-grabbers want, except complete confiscation, yet 130 people were killed and hundreds injured in Paris in 2015 by terrorist using guns and bombs! A truck was used to kill 77 people in Nice in 2016.
Gun control is the answer? Clearly not.
* Bump-fire stocks: bump-fire stocks and other bump-fire devices have been available for years now and there are probably thousands of them in use. In all those years, this is the first time I've heard of one being misused.
Heck, you can bump-fire a semi-automatic rifle without any changes to the gun at all based on how you hold the gun! Bump-fire is nowhere near as accurate as a machine gun and is mainly used for plinking.
* Silencers/suppressors: while silencers were not used, Hillary Clinton implied that if the murderer had a silencer, the police would have had a harder time finding him. Pure hogwash. Silencers lower the volume of a shot to where it won't damage your hearing, but each shot of a suppressed rifle is still almost as loud as a jackhammer. There is a company that has equipment to determine where a shot was fired from and they said that a silencer would not defeat their system.
* Background checks: the murderer passed multiple background checks, so, as usual, Universal Background Checks would not have done anything to prevent this tragedy.
* Will there be a push for more gun control at the federal and the state level? Yes
* Will this slow down national reciprocity and removing some of restrictions on silencers? Probably. Republican leadership (Rep. Scalise excepted) can get weak-kneed way too easily.
* Will any gun control pass? Yes, IF gun owners don't stay in the fight. Lobby Day in Richmond is Monday, January 15th, 2018. Virginia Citizens Defense League will also get involved if any serious gun control is introduced in Congress.
* There is no compromising with gun controllers. Their version of compromise is for gun owners to give up everything and gun controllers to give up nothing. And, until all guns are confiscated, the gun controllers will never, ever be satisfied.
Virginia Citizens Defense League will continue to monitor the media for more information about the murderer and his motives.
About Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL):
Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.
For more information, visit: www.vcdl.org.