by Capt. John C. Sigler (Ret.)
NRA Past President
USA – -(Ammoland.com)- It is time for me to say, “thank you” to all of my friends and supporters within the NRA Family for your many kindnesses, and for your continued trust, friendship and support.
First, I would like to thank all of the NRA members who were instrumental in circulating and signing my most recent NRA Members’ Petition for re-election to the NRA Board of Directors. Because of your efforts, I was able to submit a total of 181 petition pages to the NRA Secretary containing 1,371 signatures of NRA members from 45 separate states, and to be successfully nominated by NRA Members’ Petition. Thank You!
Because of your efforts, I am only one of three candidates, all incumbent Directors, to be nominated by both the NRA Nominating Committee and by the Members through the petition process – Thank You!
Next, I would like to thank the Board of Directors of the Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association, Delaware’s official NRA state affiliate, for their continued support and their endorsement for re-election to the NRA Board of Directors. As a Past President of DSSA and a long-time member of the DSSA Board of Directors, the DSSA Board’s vote of confidence in my ability to successfully represent Delaware and our nation’s Second Amendment Community, as a whole, on the NRA Board of Directors means a lot to me. Thank You!
With DSSA’s endorsement, I have now been endorsed by a total of eight (8) major clubs and NRA State Associations from throughout the country, including the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association; the Firearms Coalition of Colorado; the Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association; the Ohio Gun Collectors Association; the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association; the Florida Sport Shooting Association; the North Carolina Rifle & Pistol Association; and of course, the Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association. Thank You!
Finally, I want to thank all of the members of the NRA for all that you have done for me over the years to help me fight for our God-given right to keep and bear arms, at the polls, in Congress and the various legislatures, and in the courts. Without your continued help and support I could never have enjoyed the successes I have enjoyed during my 21+ years on the NRA Board, serving the NRA and all of the people of our great nation. Thank You!
Because of you, the members of NRA, in 1996 I became the first person from Delaware to ever be elected to the NRA Board. Because of you and your efforts, I was given the opportunity to work with and under NRA’s two greatest presidents, Marion Hammer and Charlton Heston, both of whom believed in me, trusted me, and gave me the opportunity to serve as the Chairman of NRA’s Finance Committee for 10 years and as the Chairman of NRA’s Law Enforcement Assistance Committee for the same 10 years.
Because of you, the valued members of NRA, I was also granted the opportunity to serve on the NRA’s High Power Rifle Committee as both Chairman and Vice-Chairman; the Competitions Rules & Programs Committee; as Vice-Chairman of the Clubs & Associations Committee, the Bylaws & Resolutions Committee, the Committee on Hearings, the Gun Collectors Committee, the Site Selection Committee, the Legislative Policy Committee and as Chairman of the Sub-Committee on State & Local Affairs, and on NRA’s Executive Committee. Additionally, because of you and your continued support, I have also had the privilege and pleasure of serving as a member of the NRA’s Executive Council and on the Board of the NRA Foundation and as a Whittington Center Trustee. Thank You!
And finally, because of you, I was privileged to serve NRA and our great nation for two terms as NRA’s Second Vice President, two terms as NRA’s First Vice President, and two terms as NRA’s 59th national President. Thanks to you, I was given the opportunity to create two new committees specifically designed to help and serve our veterans, the Committee on Military and Veterans Affairs and the Disabled Shooting Sports Committee. Thank You!
I want to thank you, the members of NRA for your trust, your confidence, your continued support, and your friendship – Thank You!
In closing, I come to you, the voting members of NRA and ask for your support and your vote, once more. Much has been accomplished over the past 21 years, but much remains to be done. Our fight to protect, preserve and defend our precious Second Amendment is far from over.
Our right to keep and bear arms must continue to be vigorously defended in the courts, in Congress and in our state legislatures every day of every month of every year – especially this year.
We must expand our fight to keep our ranges open and to open new ranges where we will be free to exercise our rights. NRA’s system of clubs and associations must be revitalized, expanded, and strengthened because they are at the heart of our grassroots efforts to protect and defend our rights, and it is they who deliver NRA’s important programs and who provide appropriate venues and opportunities for us to exercise our rights.
NRA’s competitive shooting programs are a shamble and must be renewed, strengthened, revitalized, and expanded to include new and exciting programs that will attract new members and younger generations of competitive shooters. As Chairman and Vice Chairman of the High-Power Rifle Committee I have advocated for more competitive shooting opportunities for AR Platform enthusiasts and for the “Big 50’s”, and I will continue to do so for as long as I am able.
And it is time for NRA to do more for the personal protection enthusiast and the tactical shooter looking for competitive opportunities by which they can hone their skills and become more proficient.
NRA must redouble its efforts on behalf of hunting and conservation and continue to work to ensure that future generations of Americans will be able to hunt and enjoy nature’s bounty as we have – its part of who we are as Americans.
For as long as I have been on the Board and throughout my time as an officer of our great Association, I have advocated for increased member participation and an increased voice for the individual member, and I will continue to do so. This is OUR NRA – it belongs to each and every one of us, all 5 million of us.
I am honored to run as a candidate for whom 1,371 NRA members signed a petition – there is only one greater honor – that of being re-elected to the NRA Board by the members at large.
I sincerely and respectfully ask for your vote – in doing so, I ask that you allow me the honor of continuing to represent you and the opportunity to continue the work I have been privileged to perform on your behalf since 1996.
And, of course, one final “thank you” – I also want to say “thanks” to AmmoLand Shooting Sports New’s readers for granting me the opportunity to express my sincere gratitude to the members of NRA and for allowing me to seek your vote for re-election once again to the NRA Board. – Thank You One and All!
For more information about me, please see the biographical information set forth below – Thank you!
Capt. John C. Sigler (Ret.)
- Nominated by Both NRA Members’ Petition and NRA’s Nominating Committee Nominee
- NRA’s 59th President – NRA Benefactor, Heritage Society;Whittington Trustee; former NRA Foundation Trustee; current NRA Director & Executive Council member.
- 2nd Amendment Activist – Founder, Delaware Association of Second Amenment Lawyers; Co-Founder, pro-gun Delaware Foundation for Legislative Action; Volunteer Pro-Gun Lobbyist; avid “Right-to-Carry” & “National Reciprocity” advocate; author of many pro-gun bills in Delaware legislature. Past President of the Fifty Caliber Insititute.
- Competitive Shooter – Member 2017 U.S. F-Open Rifle Team; Former NRA PPC State Champion & Governor’s 20 Champion; Former Conventional Pistol, International Pistol and Air Pistol competitor; 5-time member, NSCA Delaware State Sporting Clays Team. Co-founder Delaware’s Governor’s 20 Program.
- NRA Referee – Line Referee, Camp Perry Pistol, & Chief Referee NRA Police Nationals
- Avid Hunter – Member Safari Club International . John has hunted throughout the USA and in Argentina, Scotland, South Africa and Zambia.
- Gun Collector – Casual collector – served on NRA’s Gun Collectors Committee and as an NRA Annual Meeting Display Judge. Life Member, Dallas
- Arms Collectors, Missouri Valley Arms Collectors & Ohio Gun Collectors.
- NRA Volunteer – Former NRA Filed Support Team Volunteer, Friends of NRA Committee Chairman & NRA Election Volunteer Coordinator. Past President of Delaware’s NRA State Association (DSSA).
- NRA Committee Experience – Former Chair, now Vice-Chair High Power; former Chair of Finance, Law Enforcement, Meeting Site, Hearings; Vice-Chair -Clubs & Associations; has served on Competitions Rules & Programs, Bylaws & Resolutions, Gun Collectors, Legislative Policy
- Memberships Include: TSRA, FCSA, IDPA, NSCA, NMLRA, NYSRPA
- U.S. Navy Veteran – 1967-1971 – U.S. Naval Submarine Service – USS George Bancroft (SSBN 643) & USS Hardhead (SS 365). Member, Chapter 850 of Vietnam Vetarans of America; United States Submarine Veterans; and American Legion Fox Post #2.
- Employment – Retired Police Captain, now practicing law in Delaware and Maryland.
- Endorsements- include New York State Rifle & Pistol Association; Firearms Coalition of Colorado; Ohio Rifle & Pistol Association; Ohio Gun Collectors Association; Fifty Caliber Shooters Association; Florida Sport Shooting Association; North Carolina Rifle & Pistol Association; Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association.