Gun Control in Urinals at SHOT Show 2020?

Opinion

The Brady with arrow symbol is a trademark of Brady Industries, again a completely apolitical company with no relationship to the gun control brand. IMG Dean Weingarten

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)- Before billionaire Michael Bloomberg began throwing tens of millions of dollars to subvert Second Amendment rights in the United States, the primary push to subvert the Second Amendment was associated with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

It is ironic, for several years, the urinals at the Shot Show in Las Vegas have all had “Brady” urinal screens at the bottom. It is simply a coincidence a totally unrelated company, Brady Industries is the producer of the mats. They also produce numerous other cleaning supplies, primarily for the Western United States. From bradyindustries.com:

Brady Industries is the premier cleaning solutions provider throughout the Western United States. We provide cleaning solutions to our customers while exceeding their expectations with quality, service, and integrity.

An intrepid Second Amendment warrior, as an act of political theater, did not place Brady mats into the urinals. The Brady with arrow symbol is a trademark of Brady Industries, again a completely apolitical company with no relationship to the gun control brand.

It seems unlikely, but with former Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg pushing to disarm the American population, maybe there is a cleaning company which could produce “Bloomberg” urinal screens he certainly has the resources.

Before the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the organization has had a number of reorganization and name changes.

In 1974, it started as the National Council to Control Handguns. By 1980, the name was changed to Handgun Control incorporated.  To take advantage of the victim status of James Brady, in 2000, the name was changed to The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

The focus shifted from handguns to the latest term, “gun violence”.  Gun violence is used as an Orwellian term to include suicides. Homicide rates dropped while the number of firearms per capita in the U.S.A. rose. The number of fatal gun accidents is a tiny fraction of what it was 70 years ago. It has become harder and harder to sell “gun control” as a so-called crime-fighting or safety measure.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is still active. One of the latest themes to push to infringe on Second Amendment rights is to stop individuals from making their own guns, which are not tracked by the government. They call homemade guns “Ghost Guns”.  From the bradycampaign.org:

What exactly is a “Ghost Gun”? How are “Ghost Guns” made? Are a lot of criminals using “Ghost Guns”? Have there been any efforts to regulate “Ghost Guns”? What can I do to help stop them?!

If you've asked yourself any of these questions, then you belong at our next meeting! We'll be answering all of your questions and discussing the next steps. Join us and find out what you can do to help end gun violence!

“Handgun Control” and “Gun Control” no longer appeal to the American electorate. The new, focus group tested meme is “Gun Safety”. Who can be against “Gun Safety”?

Many Gun Show attendees remember how the Brady campaign has worked against Second Amendment rights. Many of them are smiling when they see the Brady name in the urinal mats in front of them.

If most people would pull out a camera in a restroom and start taking pictures, there might be a problem. Put on a media badge, and no one is concerned.

As a highly respected member of the gun media, no one blinked when I did it…

About Dean Weingarten:

Dean Weingarten has been a peace officer, a military officer, was on the University of Wisconsin Pistol Team for four years, and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1973. He taught the Arizona concealed carry course for fifteen years until the goal of Constitutional Carry was attained. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering and retired from the Department of Defense after a 30-year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation.

Ej harbet
Ej harbet
7 months ago

Schumer should be the primo urinal target. Chuck or amy! Id drink more water just so i could”shoot” more often. Feel free to fire up the graphics machine.

SecondSon2nd1
SecondSon2nd1
7 months ago

If you put a Bloomberg face or a gubernor Blackface face (Etc…) on them, the gun-grabbing libs will just piss on the floor.
Not only that, they will claim some sort of justification for doing so and would probably get away with it if someone catches them doing that.

MB
MB
7 months ago

Good place for it, piss on them…

Terry
Terry
7 months ago

I’m thinking more along the thought of a target that might help the custodial departments.

You know ‘small target small miss’

Hankus
Hankus
7 months ago

That’s a great idea. For those times when you thought you had to throw a whiz, but not quite. Just envision Sarah Brady’s face down there and let ‘er rip. It’s a psychological thing, like having water running in the background.

JDL
JDL
Reply to  Hankus

Even better – Bloomberg’s face. Of course, it only be for the short urinals…

Gdubb
Gdubb
Reply to  Hankus

I’d rather piss in AOCs face personally.

Safegunowner
Safegunowner

Dean,
Please retire.
You misrepresent NICS numbers.
Now you are writing articles about urinal inserts.

It’s time.

Arny
Arny
Reply to  Safegunowner

Where are these numbers you speak of ? At least have the audacity to provide some proof to your claims.

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
Reply to  Safegunowner

Unsafe, yes, because the name Brady, in relation to “gun safety”, is like comparing a vacation to Denali in December to an Aruba beach vacation – any time of year.

He was just noting the irony in that just as we figuratively “piss on” the “gun safety” Brady group, those at the Shot are literally doing so to the name – only one gets paid to have it’s name be “pissed on”, the other deserves it.

JDL
JDL
Reply to  Safegunowner

Maybe you should retire considering you completely overlooked the humor in the article.

Rock
Rock

Piss on ’em !!!

7 months ago

Will there be more cover on new interesting stuff at the gun show? Haven’t really been a lot of news about it besides… urinals….

Grigori
Grigori
7 months ago

It’s a man thing. You might not fully undrrstand.

😀

Knute
Knute
7 months ago

This seems to be the hot new item, at least to the sources that I respect:

Deplorable Bill
Deplorable Bill
Reply to  Knute

Wow, what a sidearm. That being said, $5,000 is $6,000 more than my allowance. I suppose I will just have to make do with what I have.

ARM UP, CARRY ON.

Knute
Knute
7 months ago

I, also. But as a gunsmith, I found the upside-down internals to be quite interesting. But too much cost and complexity just to get a lower bore axis, IMO. If I weren’t retired from competition, though, the extra few milliseconds of faster recoil recovery might be well worth it. Esp. if I was still earning money that way. Often a few tenths of second can separate first place from second, or even lower. But from a defense perspective, it’s an awfully small thing. Even in the unlikely event one does need to draw a weapon in self defense, such will… Read more »

Finnky
Finnky
Reply to  Knute

– Great reasoning. Have to say there are rules in a fight though. It’s a REALLY long list:
(1) Survive
(*) Kids lives come first, but you cannot protect them if you’re down 🙁
(2) Win if possible and consistent with #1
That’s it

7 months ago

Ugh same. It’s a pretty looking gun but I’d also like to pay my student loans off sometime this century…

Knute
Knute
7 months ago

If you’re just looking for a cheap pistol, instead of the newest and hottest, I’d go with either the Ruger LCPs or LCRs, or else a .38 snubbie. Or any compact 9mm. Almost can’t go wrong with any of those. OFC, its hard to actually come up with valid advice unless one knows your situation, legalities in your area, etc. However, revolvers are just so universal, it’s hard not to recommend them. Today, the plastic autoloaders are cheaper, and they hold more rounds, but they come with lots of negatives that often get overlooked. Problems like limp wristing, trouble racking… Read more »

Reply to  Knute

I carry a beretta PX4 in my camera bag. I’m usually in a skirt or dress so it’s really hard to concealed carry on my person. I haven’t had any issues with it so far after around 3-4 thousand rounds at the gun range so I’m pretty happy with it. My only complaint is loading the magazines. It’s really hard and I have to use a loader thingy since my fingers aren’t strong enough after loading it half way without the loader

Knute
Knute
7 months ago

Loading magazines is another of those potential difficulties that revolvers don’t have. I have a bunch of pistols, from a couple 1911s to an M9, a smithoglock (sygma), a Taurus .40, a few .357s and .44s, and so forth. But I still usually pack a .38 snub. I consider 5 rounds sufficient, I shoot it well, it’s light and small and not as sensitive to lint and dust etc. I, too, carry in a bag, but its a custom set of saddlebags that have a holster stitched into one side, between the bag and the rump strap. That side has… Read more »

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up
7 months ago

CRG, I am a fan of the PX4, too. I have a sub-compact 9, and a full-frame .45 ACP, by far my favorite so far.

7 months ago

@Heedthecall-up yah, I have the full size 9mm and I keep an o-light on it. It’s nice to keep in the laptop part of my backpack

Finnky
Finnky
7 months ago

@CFG – At least loading the magazines is not a “serious use” issue. If you’re loading magazines in a fight, you’ve already screwed up royally…
Do you have a magazine loader? I usually only use it toward the end of a day when my thumbs are tired – and even then only for the last round or two of the stiffer magazines. In any case, an uplulu or similar makes it much easier to get those tough rounds in. Not faster for easier rounds, but helpful

Reply to  Finnky

@finnky yah I use a loader or I can’t get all the rounds in the magazine

Ej harbet
Ej harbet
Reply to  Finnky

Uplulas are great! I got my sister a pink one for her birthday last year

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
7 months ago

CFG, I’m going to agree with Knute on this one, revolvers are hard to have problems with. The downside is the number of rounds. If you aren’t looking to conceal, PSA has S&W .45 LE trade-ins with tritium sights for $300.

Finnky
Finnky
7 months ago

@DiF – Have read that S&P M&P 2.0 is a fairly good step up, at least in 45 acp. From reviews, the night sights are approaching the end of their useful life, and are mostly not trujicon. Not sure if you can get the vial replaced – but the night sights don’t sound like a big step up. v 1.0 M&P 45s available for about $350 including 2nd (and 3rd?) mags and all the back straps and warranty. Found brand new 2.0 with two or three mags for about $380 (I think) – decided it would be worth the difference… Read more »

Safegunowner
Safegunowner
Reply to  Knute

Expand your horizons.

Reply to  Safegunowner

? Who are you talking to? This has no context

Gdubb
Gdubb
Reply to  Knute

This thing looks incredible in many ways. There was a write up on this weapon a few months ago in Recoil magazine that interested me. Cant wait to shoot one.

Ej harbet
Ej harbet
Reply to  Knute

Or how to piss away $5000! Or how not to sell very many guns.

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
7 months ago

CFG, I’m sure that we’ll have more write-ups by various people as the days go by. As for the urinals, it’s just good, clean-ish fun. Better than chasing cigarette butts around the bowl.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
Reply to  Ansel Hazen

Anzel, Gotta love that name. Speaking as a tall guy.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
7 months ago

Just something I came up with many years ago.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
7 months ago

@CFG, Lots of new, fun, and interesting things at gun shows. I make a practice of buying some little piece of jewelry of scented votive or candle for my wife at every gun show that I attend. That way I am never in trouble when I get home.
Lots of tried and true firearms, but you have to know your prices and inspect them for wear or poor maintenance.

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill I haven’t been to a gun show in person yet but it sounds fun but buying a used gun would seem intimidating for me. Lol your wife must be happy then! …or at least puts up with you going to all the shows. Is she not interested in getting gun gifts? If you really want to rock the ship, you could find a gun oil scented candle!

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
7 months ago

@CFC, The big blonde has her own 1911 and shooting accessories; access to every firearm in the house. Her favorite is a little 12 ga. sxs. She called it her snakes shooter. But she prefers quilting, jewelry, and horses, and stray dogs … and cats… and other people’s new babies.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Wild Bill

Wilco.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Wild Bill

@OV, they eloped!

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
7 months ago

@USA, or candle scented gun oil!

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
7 months ago

“Plug it in, Plug it in”.

Grigori
Grigori
7 months ago

Even though there is no connection to the company providing urinal supplies and the Brady Campaign, I think it is cool as hell that attendees at SHOT get to “p*ss on Brady”. Seriously, what’s not to like?

🙂

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
7 months ago

One wonders if they are there as a statement.

At any rate I hope the Brady campaign is triggered. 🙂