USA – -(Ammoland.com)- SCCY Firearms has been producing reliable and affordable subcompact firearms for nearly 20 years. Their CPX-1 and CPX-2 are chambered in 9mm with or without external safety, CPX-3 and CPX-4 are chambered in .380 ACP and also give the option of with or without an external safety. The pistols are small in size, but permit a decent grip width thanks to double-stack magazines. Reliability and simplicity is provided in part by a double-action only trigger for the bobbed hammer.
When we reviewed the CPX-3 not long ago we were pleased by how easily the slide racked and yet how soft recoil was, even for a pistol chambered in .380 ACP. Our chief complaint, if any was the sights. While nice and small to reduce the risk of snagging, they were also nice and small when aiming. The rear sight can be drifted, but not adjust for elevation. No sooner had we expressed this was the CPX-3 Red Dot released. This model comes with a Crimson Trace CTS-1500 Red Dot sight mounted and an MSRP of just $339.
Excited we hit the range. How does the 3.5 MOA dot perform? Does the change in slide weight impact reliability? Would we be able to shoot this CPX-3 better than we did the version with the with low profile iron sights? Eager to find out we hit the range. See the results in the video below:
We considered testing ready-up drill shooting once with iron sights and once with the red dot, but decided against it since results would likely be based more on training and experience than the actual pistol. An interesting note about the CTS-1500 is that at the time of this article's writing the sight was not listed on Crimson Trace's website. We did learn (by old-fashioned manual reading) that the sight does not have an auto on or off, but does auto adjust for ambient light. They recommend storing the sight with the included protective cover. With the cover on the sight goes to it's lowest setting and battery life is prolonged.
Specifications below were taken directly from the product web page:
- Magazine: Includes (3) double stack, 10 round capacity magazines. 1 with finger extension base installed and 2 with flat bases.
- Barrel: Machined from bar stock with 7 lands and grooves having a 1:16 right-hand twist. Featuring “QUAD-LOCK” technology for more repeatable accuracy.
- Receiver: 7075‐T6 aircraft grade heat treated aluminum alloy, machined from bar stock.
- Slide: Quality Stainless Steel available with Natural Stainless or Black Nitride finish.
- Grip & Frame: Made from Zytel polymer, with ergonomic finger grooves.
- Recoil System: All steel, fully encapsulated for ease of disassembly and reassembly.
- Slide Lock/Release: Steel with a Zytel over molded polymer extension for ease of operation.
- Hammer Firing System: Double-action only, internal hammer with inertial firing pin to prevent accidental discharge if dropped.
- Double Action Trigger: Specifically designed for shooter comfort and accuracy by designing the system to have a smooth effortless, consistent 9-pound trigger pull.
- Trigger-Lock: Custom designed to properly fit and be child-resistant. Includes 2 keys.
For a closer look at the manufacturing quality and fitment of the SCCY CPX-3 Red Dot see the tabletop video below:
About Graham Baates
“Graham Baates” is a pen name used by a 15-year active Army veteran who spent most of his time in the tactical side of the Intelligence community including tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Post-Army Graham spent some time in the local 3-Gun circuit before becoming a full-time NRA Certified defensive handgun instructor and now works as an industry writer while curating a YouTube channel on the side. Visit Graham on Youtube .