Sunday Gun Day – Life-Saving SAW ~ VIDEOS

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, Ammoland will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
M249 Squad Automatic Weapon
M249 Squad Automatic Weapon

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- When the SHTF, Reach for the SAW!

M249 Squad Automatic Weapon

I want to talk about my right-hand “man” while I was overseas: the M249 SAW. I deployed to Afghanistan for a year, 2012 to 2013. In that year, I developed a relationship with the M249 that redefined security for me. In June 2013, my scout truck was hit by a complex ambush, initiated with an IED. While the truck sat limp and the rest of the convoy was half a click back, we had no choice but to unleash hell as 7.62 pinged off the truck's up-armored plating.”

“I’ll never forget that SAW, humming like a sewing machine without skipping a beat, plastering the side of a ridge with 750 RPM while we got the truck mobile again. When the s*** hits the fan, it’s just you and your equipment. I understand that it’s not my personal firearm, but that U.S. Army issued SAW is the reason I’m able to share this story today. [Bruce, few firearms have deserved to be in SGD as much as your SAW. God bless you! – The Editor.]

– Bruce M. Featured Customer

Shop Semi-Auto Military-Style Rifles

About BrownellsBrownells : http://goo.gl/cJ1FMM

Serious About Firearms Since 1939, Brownells is the world’s leading source for guns, gun parts and accessories, ammunition, gunsmithing tools, and survival gear. With a large selection of both common and hard-to-find items, and an extensive collection of videos, articles, and gun schematics, Brownells is the expert for everything shooting-related. Committed to maintaining our great traditions, Brownells has more, does more and knows more – and guarantees it all, Forever. For more information or to place an order, call 800-741-0015 or visit Brownells.com. Stay up-to-date with Brownells on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Mike11C
Mike11C
8 months ago

The M249 SAW is a sweet little bitch but, if you want a real good time, you should get on the pig (M60). She’s got more cushion for the pushin’.

ralph
ralph
8 months ago

I cannot have much faith in the narration of this fine weapon when the narrator appears not to understand the difference between a bullet and a cartridge.

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
8 months ago

240 beats 249 hands down.

Mike Carbine
Mike Carbine
8 months ago

Best little MG out there. Will always treasure my time as an Automatic Rifleman. Assault barrel & collapsing butt, shorter than an M-4. Enter&clear with this belt-fed (sub)machine gun or lay down suppressive fires for the rest of the team in a FF. 22lbs locked&loaded with 200 rounds. Even had brand new Magpul mags and (like new) refurbished guns that could fire as many 30 round Magpuls as needed and never had a malfunction. My last Iraganistan deployment I brought my SAW gunners magpuls at my own cost. Like pulling teeth getting them back tho…

Knute
Knute
8 months ago

What was the apx. range to that ridge? I ask because of my idea for a multibarrel, externally powered, .22LR for small unit suppression fire.

Dave in Fairfax
Editor
Dave in Fairfax
8 months ago
Reply to  Knute

Knute, Are you thinking about home-brewing a .22 LR Gatling gun?

Knute
Knute
8 months ago

For some years now. I have a plan all drawn up. Uses the barrels from the AR7. Fixed breachblock, the power feed pulls the fresh round into battery. Driven by standard handdrill batteries and motors, and some custom parts.
Should be awesome for suppression fire out to 400 yards or so, if in a sub-10lb package, which would have nil for recoil. It would truly be a “bullet hose”.