As we all know, Democrats are working tirelessly to get “red-flag” laws passed at state and local levels, and they’ve been successful in states where voters have been foolish enough to elect them.
More are likely on the way.
As I’ve editorialized previously, with these laws, Democrats are converting American gun-owners into “second-class citizens,” who do not enjoy liberties and rights afforded other citizens.
Where these laws are passed, the Constitutional tenant of “due process,” the sacred right of every citizen, is suddenly withheld from citizens who choose to own guns.
Where red-flag laws are in force, an innocent American citizen can be severely punished, based on an arbitrary, unsubstantiated, anonymous whim, absent investigation, absent arrest, absent criminal accusation, absent conviction. Absent any opportunity to state his case, nor refute testimony against him, absent any professional mental-health evaluation, absent any species of “due process,” without any knowledge nor warning that his legally-owned guns are about to be forcibly confiscated, probably forever!
When uncorroborated accusations against you prove baseless and wrong, even deliberately dishonest, under red-flag laws your false accuser suffers no penalty.
Using the same phony rational, I wonder how long it will be before Democrat politicians, in like manner, demand the power to arbitrarily confiscate your car, dog, golf clubs, knives, computer, and anything else you legally own that could use as a weapon.
Opportunities for abuse of red-flag laws are painfully obvious, and a competent and righteous Supreme Court will soon declare them all unconstitutional, with any luck.
But, that may take years, and for one, I have no interest in being “the test case.”
Between then and now, some advice:
- 1) Your status as a gun-owner/concealed-carrier needs to be a secret. Most relatives, co-workers, neighbors, even friends don’t need to know. Don’t talk about specific guns you may own, particularly military rifles. Maintain a low profile. Find other things to talk about.
- 2) Guns you own need to be adequately secured, and always out of sight. Ammunition boxes, loose rounds of ammunition, gun magazines, and other literature, holsters, rifle magazines, accessories, etc. also need to be kept continuously out of sight. Casual visitors to your home, office or car should never see any of that.
- 3) Get rid of gun-company/ammunition-company/pro-gun organization decals, patches, logo clothing, hats, bumper-stickers.
- 4) Watch your language and general demeanor, in public and in private! Don’t do, nor say, things that are likely to be interpreted as threats. Don’t make threatening comments, even when directed at a third party who is not present.
- 5) Don’t become involved in family, nor neighborhood, spats, particularly those involving marriage issues, child custody, etc. Be very good at minding your own business.
- 6) Don’t invite people you don’t know into your home, including police officers (unless they have a warrant). With your door remaining closed and locked, you can talk with unknown/uninvited visitors through a microphone.
- 7) Keep the subject of guns and gun issues out of the casual conversation. Talk about guns only with people you know well.
- 8) Gun-organization literature, flyers, etc. need to be shredded, immediately after you finish reading them. Tear off address-labels on gun magazines and shred them too. You don’t want your residence address associated/connected with guns, nor gun-organizations.
- 9) When carrying concealed, assure guns, magazine-carriers, etc. remain discretely out of sight. Open-carry, even where technically “legal,” is a really bad idea (except perhaps in extremely remote places).
- 10) Don't make enemies. Be a polite, civil, pleasant, courteous person. Don't inject yourself into other people's business
American gun-owners have no friends among Democrat politicians, particularly those currently aspiring to be president, and they would all like nothing better than to make “examples” of some of us, wielding the illegitimate power of their new “red-flag” laws.
The sinister “knock-on-the-door-at-midnight” is coming for some.
Don’t be “that guy!”
About John Farnam & Defense Training International, Inc
As a defensive weapons and tactics instructor John Farnam will urge you, based on your own beliefs, to make up your mind in advance as to what you would do when faced with an imminent lethal threat. You should, of course, also decide what preparations you should make in advance if any. Defense Training International wants to make sure that their students fully understand the physical, legal, psychological, and societal consequences of their actions or in-actions.
It is our duty to make you aware of certain unpleasant physical realities intrinsic to the Planet Earth. Mr. Farnam is happy to be your counselor and advisor. Visit: www.defense-training.com