Colorado – -(AmmoLand.com)- Last legislative session a Red Flag bill died in committee, but we knew it would be back. And it is. This time is worse than before and it should have every gun owner or gun rights supporter worried.
This year’s bill is being called an “Emergency Risk Protection Order” or ERPO in an attempt to lose the negative “Red Flag” reputation. It is also being pushed more than ever as being about suicide prevention. Don’t let any of it fool you. The devil is in the details; it’s in the 30 pages of bill language. You can read a complete break down of these 30 pages here, as well as watch a video going through the language line by line.
Here’s what you’ll hear the media say this bill does:
“A family member or law enforcement officer would petition a court to request the ability to immediately seize a person’s guns. If a judge signs the order, the weapons can be taken away and the court must hold a hearing within 14 days to determine whether to extend the seizure and bar the person from purchasing more firearms.”
Here’s what they won’t tell you:
- Almost anyone can request an ERPO without even showing their face or providing their address. The definition of “family or household member” is so broad it includes ex-lovers who you have never even lived with! Or someone *claiming* you once had an affair. And even old roommates.
- The initial report and hearing can be done over the phone, all while the accused is completely oblivious proceedings are taking place to have his or her firearms confiscated.
- The first time the accused learns someone has reported them will be when local law enforcement shows up at their door with an order AND a search warrant prepared to raid your home – while the accused never even committed a crime.
- 14 days later is the first time the accused will have a chance to defend themselves against this non-crime.
- The guns will be confiscated for 364 days, during which time the accused only has one opportunity to ask the courts to lift the order.
- There is zero accountability for false accusers. In fact, the filing fee is $0! For comparison, requesting a Temporary Restraining Order in Colorado is $97.
- This bill is being touted as a “suicide prevention” bill, when in fact, the fear of having your firearms confiscated will make people terrifed to ask for help when they need it.
- It is so ripe for abuse, it can easily be used by someone’s stalker or abuser to have their victim disarmed – legally.
- The ERPO will go on a person’s permanent record EVEN if it is dismissed, meaning it will show up on background checks, etc.
Read a complete write up of the bill here: www.rallyforourrights.com/colorados-red-flag-erpo-worse-than-you-think
This bill is scheduled for it’s first hearing in the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, Feb 21st at 1:30 pm in the Old State Library. Click here for details.
Please come to either testify or support those who will be testifying. If you would like to testify, come prepared with a 1-3 minute statement. Arrive early! Do not wear anything with a political message, including pins. No weapons of any kind allowed.
RSVP on Facebook here: www.facebook.com/events/381199259359180
Please also contact the members of this committee immediately and ask them to OPPOSE HB19-1177: Emergency Risk Protection Orders.
This will take less than five minutes of your time – contact the members of this committee by phone or email. Get their contact info here: leg.colorado.gov/committees/judiciary/2019-regular-session-0
Or copy/paste this list into your email client and send it to them all at once.
About Rally for our Rights
Rally for our Rights is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending and preserving the gun rights of all Amercians through frontline activism, tenacious political action, and community outreach.