The Virginia Legislative Elections are a Big Deal

Virginia Governor Northam
Virginia Governor Northam

Virginia – -(AmmoLand.com)- The third year after a presidential election doesn’t get a lot of attention. After all, there are only two governors’ races that headline results on the first Wednesday after the first Monday. But there are many other races decided on this coming election day.

Included in them are the state legislative elections in the Commonwealth of Virginia. There are 100 members of the House of Delegates and 40 members of the State Senate, and all 140 of those seats are up for grabs this year. This could matter a great deal for Second Amendment supporters.

Why? Because the House of Delegates and Virginia Senate are controlled by Republicans, and the Republican leadership is pro-Second Amendment. This mattered, because in the wake of a tragic shooting in Virginia Beach, that leadership successfully put the kibosh on Ralph Northam’s effort to advance an anti-Second Amendment agenda in response to the shooting.

These elections are going to be tougher than we might expect. Litigation has led to new district maps drawn by a professor in California for the 2019 election, and these lines are much friendlier to anti-Second Amendment extremists. As a result, we could see pro-Second Amendment majorities wiped out – and worse, the new leadership controlling the General Assembly in Virginia will be ardent foes of our rights, eager to rubber-stamp the injustices that Northam sought to inflict upon law-abiding citizens in the wake of the Virginia Beach shooting.

This is a disaster in more ways than one. While one more state adopting anti-Second Amendment laws is bad enough, Virginia is a special case, since the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America are both headquartered there. Many of those who would work for the NRA or GOA are likely to own the modern multi-purpose semi-automatic firearms that Northam wants to ban. This means that the talent pool for these groups will be greatly depleted, even as the full-spectrum fight that Second Amendment supporters are facing requires that the best talent be hired for the fight for our freedoms.

Now, hiring that talent will be more difficult to do, and the successful hires will be more expensive. Worse, the sheer propaganda victory that passing Michael Bloomberg’s wish list in the state where NRA and GOA are based in will be significant as well. This is largely due to the fact that Second Amendment supporters are losing the suburbs, largely due to their failures to have pro-Second Amendment solutions to concerns their fellow Americans have and to keep in mind how their Second Amendment support comes across.

The news is not all bad. Non-Second Amendment issues could take the fore, including the impeachment effort against President Trump. The 1998 mid-terms saw a backlash against the impeachment of Bill Clinton on much stronger evidence than there is against Trump. In addition, Second Amendment supporters could have an opening via Kanye West, who has expressed support for our rights. This could change things in urban areas, and affect statewide races.

In addition, next year, the Supreme Court could shift the legal and political landscape with its ruling on New York City’s regulations. But the real key to keeping Virginia a pro-Second Amendment state is going to be a lot of hard work by Second Amendment supporters. We must effectively use our First Amendment rights to save our Second Amendment rights.

Harold Hu, chison

About Harold Hutchison

Writer Harold Hutchison has more than a dozen years of experience covering military affairs, international events, U.S. politics and Second Amendment issues. Harold was consulting senior editor at Soldier of Fortune magazine and is the author of the novel Strike Group Reagan. He has also written for the Daily Caller, National Review, Patriot Post, Strategypage.com, and other national websites.

TheRevelator (@therevelator)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I’d like to draw your attention to a coward named Will, who has tucked tail and run away from questions asked with full seriousness and sincerity on numerous occasions. I offered him a chance to debate this out, but he always has an excuse or goes silent in the hope it will be forgotten. It appears he is more interested in being a Mitt Romney, AKA Pierre Delecto, creating duplicate accounts to spam on comments in an attempt to hide from answering questions. Funny, because just recently he condemned Joe Biden as a coward for telling a… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

So not one person can muster enough courage to provide proof of anything I said that has been factually wrong or muster up enough balls to write a comment in 9 hours? I’m very sorry I intimidate so many of you that you feel you have to hide in a closet. 🙂

The truth doesn’t stop being the truth just because it upsets you.

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)

You say pro second amendment huh, where are there any pro second amendment people? I havent heard any of them say they are going to delete the goverment database , and take all regulations off guns? That’s like saying you are pro free speech, but in order for you to have free speech you gotta go on a goverment list, and if you want a internet account of free speech you have to apply to the goverment for a conceal your name permit.

Knute
Knute
Reply to  Makasoul

You actually expected Mr. Hutchenson to write something even partially based on fact? WOW! That must lead to lots of disappointment. In the past year I think he’s gotten maybe one thing correct. IMO, he is what is known in ‘intelligence’ (they have none…) circles as; “controlled opposition”. Those paid to pretend they are on one side while secretly supporting whatever other side their bosses tell them to.
Feel free to look that term up. Hopefully with duckduckgo and not googletube the crazy…

JIAZ
JIAZ (@jiaz)

Defend your Home Front by strongly supporting your individual State’s most Pro-2A Organization.

Arizona Citizens Defense League

2019 Top 10 – Best Gun-Friendly States
1. Arizona
2. Idaho
3. Alaska
4. Kansas
5. Oklahoma
6. Kentucky
7. Utah
8. Wyoming
9. Montana
10. Texas

2019 Ranking of Gun Friendly States
Worst (New York) to best (Arizona)

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up (@daveeckartverizon-net)
Reply to  JIAZ

Virginia should be at least above Texas. We have OC for all that can legally own firearms – from any state – without any license/permit, and reciprocity for all CC holders. We also allow carry in restaurants, even in places that serve alcohol. And the state has a pre-emption law to prevent localities from passing laws more strict than state firearm laws.

@Heed, What?! Blasphemy!!!

Heed the Call-up
Heed the Call-up (@daveeckartverizon-net)
Reply to  Wild Bill

Not blasphemy, just aware of our rights and the laws regarding firearms. Virginia firearm laws are more liberal than Texas, though, since Texas now “allows” OC, but only with a permit, it isn’t quite as firearm friendly as Virginia.

Wild Bill (@wild-bill)

@Heed, Don’t take my comment seriously. I made it for entertainment purposes. I might take an exception to that “allow” word that does not occur in the Second amendment!

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)

Texas allows felons to own any gun on thier own property. Alaska is the least regulated, followed by texas .

Reply to  Makasoul

@Maka, Hey boy, it is Texas, not texas!

Reply to  Wild Bill

No one heard of you here before the first day you started commenting either.

If he passes on bad information, show evidence of it and catch him in the act. If he doesn’t, then he has as much right to be here as you.

Reply to  TheRevelator

@Rev, True, but posting comments designed to outrage regular folks, and and leaving quickly to other sites is how paid agitators get paid. Kind of like drive by shooting. We’ll figure him out.

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill Ok, but what comment of his has been factually incorrect? If the truth causes outrage, then that is not a paid agitator. I’ve seen several of his comments over the last few days, and he has not tipped his hand yet to being anything of the sort(Based on those I have seen) Mostly all of his comments have been to disagree with the idea of getting government permission. So if the idea is that he is here as an agitator, we need to see some proof. Based on your description, @wjd is a paid agitator based on some… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

@Rev, “People who are anti gun are for security over freedom. ”
And then your response was: “@Makasoul Correction. They are not for security, but for an illusion of security meant to appease their emotions without ever actually making them safe.”

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill Do you understand what he was saying? He worded it roughly, but that is why I made the correction and elaborated on it. He was making a point about tyrannical government and how it seeks to control its citizens. What he was saying is that Anti Gunners are acting on an emotional fear based reaction. That whatever they don’t understand or what makes them nervous they want to see eliminated(Guns and disagreeable speech being examples. He was criticizing the left, not siding with them. The point he was trying to get across was the quote I gave, “Those… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

@Rev, Yes, I do. I merely answered the question that you put to me in as obtuse (but still true) a way that I could think of … you know … just for fun. I apologize for pulling your tail.

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill Sorry, I haven’t been as on point lately. Didn’t respond yesterday since I spent over 7 hours driving for an out of state family funeral yesterday that I got back pretty late from.. I’m just about dead on my feet today, and may not be catching everything. It’s been a rough patch since last Wednesday. I called you on the previous comment from Friday/Saturday, because unfortunately we have people here who want act the same way the left does. Make an accusation, provide no proof, all for the sake of silencing people. That is what got Will in… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

@wjd It’s been over a week, and not for value of effort. You simply can’t answer honest questions, you cannot provide evidence to support your positions in the face of those questions, and the fact that it can be shown easily irritates you and leaves you with two choices. One is that you either run and hide, which you have mostly done. The other is that you do what the Left does. You Dismiss, distract, or attempt to destroy the messenger. But I do understand. All you have is name calling, since I’m the guy you’ve been running away from… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

@wjd Quite funny how you are pulling a “Katie Hill” and trying to recast yourself as the victim. lol 🙂 So no debate huh? No answer to that question? Didn’t think so. 🙂 Wild Bill knows enough about me and how I make my arguments based on evidence. You trying to drag him into the middle of it when you are being used as ancillary evidence to make a point, begging for him to save you, and you want to talk about humiliating others? Stop humiliating yourself first. You dug the hole your in, be a big boy and get… Read more »

@Wild Bill

Heading for bed. Maybe can grow a set by morning.

And just think, all he had to do to stop this three weeks ago was answer a question and admit that attacking people for exercising their rights because he didn’t like what they were only choosing for themselves(as opposed to dictating to others) was wrong.

@Wild Bill

Well, So far no answer from . I’m going to make a prediction.

For someone who wants to tell people I’m obsessed with votes(You know I’ve publicly stated to you on three separate occasions how stupid the up/down vote is), he seems to be very obsessed with getting votes for himself and down votes for others to use as justification to say he “Humiliated them.”

And yet not one of the cowards can answer that simple little question I asked. Hmmm, interesting. 🙂

Reply to  TheRevelator

, I think the issue is “Who is going to be the bigger person by forgetting past reproach, first.”

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill I don’t hold grudges. The issue at present is @Will’s repeated hypocrisy, actions which he has not ceased, so it is current not past. I have also at the same time while asking him these questions stood up for and defended a comment that he made that was factually correct. That’s how I am. If you mess up, I call you on it, if you say something correct then I will put myself in-between that person and anyone attacking them. Balls and strikes. Nothing more, nothing less. This can end any time Will is ready for it, either… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

@Rev, I am sorry for your loss. Get some rest.

Reply to  TheRevelator

, It is like trying to be friends with the Hatfields and McCoys at the same time.

Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill As an aside before I try to get some sleep, I want to explain why I have the serious cap on right now and not so much the tongue in cheek chewing gum… I’m seeing a lot of people who are claiming to be for the constitution abandoning constitutional principles as an excuse to push their own wants and desires. People becoming hypocrites over their own egos and turning against that which we are sworn to uphold. We are now one year away from the 2020 election. It’s going to be getting a lot worse. You seem to… Read more »

Reply to  TheRevelator

For my above reply to Wild Bill, Nice!

Apparently 28 people here have a problem with or hate the idea and practice of upholding and defending the constitution.

The same number of people who are spamming votes for a certain someone, and against other people almost in identical numbers. It’s almost as if it was all one or two people too cowardly to engage me in a debate, just as I predicted. 🙂 I love when Will proves everything I said about him. Seems like I may have permanently neutered him.

Knute
Knute
Reply to  TheRevelator

IMO, the paid agitator here goes by the name “Harold Hutchenson”.

Reply to  Knute

I think Shill is more accurate given most of his conduct previously, but hey, I was one of the ones calling him out for things last year when he got serious about spamming Lapierre talking points.

Reply to  Wild Bill

, Nope.

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  JIAZ

None of those are fun friendly, they all require you to be on a goverment watch list if you buy a gun. If you want a pistol to carry you go on a super watch list, that is looked over by a judge. That’s like saying you think you got free speech but in order to talk or write you gotta apply to the goverment and be on thier watch list, and get a permit.

Chief
Chief (@cw5)

The Virginia Citizens Defense League has done more to protect our gun rights than the organizations you site. https://www.vcdl.org/

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  Chief

Maybe so, but your still on a goverment watch list for owning fire arms.

Reply to  Makasoul

@Maka, Which government? What agency keeps the list? How do we identify this list for Freedom of Information Act purposes?

Arizona Don
Arizona Don (@arizona-don)

I have said it before and I will say it again the effects of restrictive gun laws is absolutely plain to those who are willing to look. Most of the people who are against the second amendment and guns are ignorant of facts and history. And will not even listen to proven reason. Those who obey laws or those who do not obey laws are either hindered or assisted by restrictive gun laws. It effects those who obey laws the most by disarming them and assists those who do not obey the laws? Of course that is right in both… Read more »

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  Arizona Don

Here I’ll make it simple for ya. People who are anti gun are for security over freedom. They would rather see us all closer to a prison then to see free people walking around with guns. It’s about control, people who use fire arms have power to the individual, and may not take the goverments abuse of power lightly. Those with out them usally only feel empowered in groups, and groups are easier to manage by a goverments perspective. It has nothing to do with saftey, it has to do with goverment control. You think the lords wanted the peasant… Read more »

Reply to  Makasoul

@Makasoul

Those who will trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve and will receive neither.
(Doing a self edit here. Makasoul alluded to this further in his comment. I’m just putting it in short form.)

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  TheRevelator

Very true, I think all regulations on fire arms should be removed, including the ban of automatic weapons. You should be able to own what ever you want on your own property. It is not the governments business. The Fourth Amendment reads: ‘The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated; In New York, they put a law in that says they can look up and see if you own guns. With another law that says your neighbor can call the police on you just… Read more »

Reply to  Makasoul

@Makasoul I’ve been arguing those points for a very long time. I take a pretty strict view on the Constitution. Being consistent about it isn’t hard as long as you are willing to do so even when you don’t agree all the time with the limitations it puts on you. The sad fact is, is that so few people today truly understand our legal charter, or our founding document(The Declaration of independence) it was written under. It has been slowly erased or silenced from our culture which has allowed the enemies of liberty to profligate themselves and establish a self… Read more »

RoyD
RoyD (@royd)
Reply to  Makasoul

In regards to your last paragraph, this is the reason the “common folk” were not allowed to possess crossbows.

Core
Core (@core)

Leadership who fall into the “anti-gun” category are consuming a fantasy for profit. Gun Control is a fictitious advent by the Democrats/Globalists that creates it’s own problems and the cycle continues and escalates exponentially. (it’s a cash cow) The idea that criminals and madmen will ever “abide by law” is a fallacy. The idea that “banning all guns and their components” would stop attacks by said criminals and madmen is yet another fallacy. Gun Control like Climate Change is a Democratic National Committee cash cow: both are endless unsolvable endeavors. What do you do when you want an endless supply… Read more »

Rock
Rock (@rock)

They don’t care about fighting CRIME in any state… Laws are made for LAW ABIDING citizens, NOT criminals, and that is a FACT !

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  Rock

No no no, ask govenor cumbags he says that if he gets to monitor you, take your name, address, ssn, drivers license number, and pistol permit number, for every ammo and fire arm sale. Putting you in a watch list from the government equal to the terroist watch list, that every one will be safe from mass murderers. Then some one beat a cop with an metal chair and put him in the hospital. Then a poor woman got thrown into a sub way train. Hey though no one got shot though, well the guy with the metal chair did… Read more »

Laddyboy
Laddyboy (@laddyboy)

I can answer your QUESTIONING TITLE. The answer is very simple. The answer is NO! All of the over 25,000 Second Amendment INFRINGMENT “laws” are all for SHOW! YET! These same “politicians” are LAX on CRIMINALS which COMMIT these RADICALIZED ACTS OF TERROR. Even the Police SCREAM the current “judicial system” is nothing but a “merry-go-round” or “catch and release” program by the RADICALIZED LEFTIST judges!!!!!!

BowserB
BowserB (@bowserb46)

I heard Mark Walters on Armed American Radio yesterday talk about Lapierre. Mark’s theory was that Lapierre is thinking “If I can’t have the NRA for myself, then no one can have it.” Something like that. Bottom line was the Lapierre is holding onto his position and sucking the life (and cash) out of the organization until it dies. The idea sounds outrageous at first, but it is consistent with what we’re seeing. It will probably be a year or more before the impact of non-renewals of memberships is felt, since NRA will not accept cancellations and issue refunds of… Read more »

Will Flatt
Will Flatt

Sorry Harold you still don’t get it. The NRA is responsible for 99.99% of the major gun control passed in this nation over the last 100 years. The NRA is irrelevant at this point. And while I do have concern for GOA, they run A MUCH LEANER OPERATION than the NRA ever dreamed of. Leaner and FAR more efficient. But we’re WAY past what you’re thinking of, Harold. You’re a day late and a dollar short. WE’RE NOW at the “WILL NOT COMPLY” stage!! Simply put, pissed off REAL AMERICANS will no longer obey unconstitutional and tyrannical NON-LAWS. I say… Read more »

Reply to  Will Flatt

Flatt, the NRA should change its name to the National Wayne Association.

AnotherLEO
AnotherLEO (@anotherleo)
Reply to  Will Flatt

Amen my man!! Well said!! Infringement has gone too far… the socialist agenda has gone too far… these TYRANTS are blatantly violating constitutional LAW… deviant behaviours and immorality are celebrated by the radical left… this is a coordinated ASSAULT on all that is AMERICA. Just as it was difficult and terrifying to stand against the tyranny of the British…. those that did.. gave us this great country… take 5 minutes researching some of Thomas Jefferson’s and James Madison’s quotes on tyranny and Liberty… you will see what is truly on our doorstep.

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  AnotherLEO

Good luck with that lol. Here’s what will happen, you possibly could get maybe 100k people to try to over throw the goverment, as soon as they saw you massing your force, they would pin point drone strike you all, before you even had a chance to move. You must of forgot that Obama made it legal for the the goverment to drine strike american citizens.

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
Reply to  Makasoul

STFU you doomer. You ASSUME (assumption being the mother of all F-ups) that there won’t be patriots within the fedgov and within the military who will disregard orders from the top. You assume that everyone will tuck tail and run. I will bet you that AT LEAST 3% of the US population (9 million+) will say FU to tyranny and FIGHT, including constitutionally-minded lawmen and soldiers. I KNOW FOR A FACT that there are MANY military commanders, given the orders you imply, will turn and SHOOT the SOB’s giving those orders! This is why the tyrants and their quisling jackbooted… Read more »

Makasoul
Makasoul (@makasoul69)
Reply to  Will Flatt

Just remember back in the day of the tyrannical English, a huge amount wanted to stay with the English. Most people are cowards, and scared to death. Then you got another huge amount who are to busy with thier 30 indebted servant ship to the bank so they can own land when thier 60, to even understand what’s going on. I dont have your faith though, and the hour is way later than you think. The time for revolting was 30 years ago. Now the goverment has weapons so vastly more powerful than your hunting rifle, they literally could take… Read more »

Reply to  Makasoul

@Maka, If the hour is later than we think, what, specifically, did you do to prepare, yesterday?

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
Reply to  Makasoul

[email protected] like you think you know history. YOU DON’T. 1/3rd of the population might have supported the Crown, but AT LEAST 1/3rd openly supported the patriots. Less than 1/3rd professed neutrality on the matter. Those who sided with the patriots were willing to lay it all on the line for the cause; but the tories (being cowards) wouldn’t support the British side with equal fervor because they were more interested in SAVING THEIR OWN BACON, COWARDS THAT THEY WERE. You CANNOT WIN against true believers who are intelligent and have just cause for their beliefs and actions!!! You say the… Read more »

Will Flatt
Will Flatt
Reply to  Will Flatt

Perhaps, but I had to call him out for his BS, if for no other reason than to cause noobs and casual readers here to sit up and take note of what he is.

ras52
ras52 (@ras52)

If we lose our slim majority in Va. Northam and the democrats will gleefully ram the worst gun control we have ever seen down our throats! All good and moral people must vote against the evil democrats!

BowserB
BowserB (@bowserb46)
Reply to  ras52

Ras, our worst enemy is ourselves. 100 million gun owners in the U.S. should be able to swing any and every election. It’s the “I don’t care about AR15’s” and “I don’t even have a handgun” people (plus the “My family has voted Democrat since 1930” people) who either don’t bother to vote or vote blindly, who are allowing this country to slowly turn into Venezuela.

Reply to  BowserB

@Bowser, Unfortunately, of the 100 million gun owners in the U.S. not all are gun enthusiasts, of the remainder even less are die hard, single issue, Second Amendment supporters. Fewer still would volunteer, or are able, to form a fighting militia. But that does not mean that we can not restore the Republic.

AnotherLEO
AnotherLEO (@anotherleo)
Reply to  Wild Bill

I disagree. Former/current military and current/former law enforcement… the vast majority are CONSTITUTIONALISTS… people who have the training and conviction to lay down their lives in combat for the soul of America… No.. not all of them are going to be kicking down doors and storming buildings… but I couldnt venture a guess as to how many 60-70 year old vets have given me incredible training and insight into long range Precision shooting…. That brings me to my final point… the vast majority of Revolutionary War literature credits the AMERICAN RIFLE with being the tool that played the largest part… Read more »

AnotherLEO
AnotherLEO (@anotherleo)
Reply to  BowserB

You are absolutely correct. Are you doing your part to educate these ignorant sheep? It is every Americans duty to combat this epidemic of stupidity… I work in an ER… and everytime I mention guns and liberty in a supportive way I risk significant professional consequences… a profession for which i sacrificed every waking moment of my life for more than 7 years… and 150k in educational costs…. can you say you do the same?? Being silent or abiding by the expectations of these liberal extremists is what got us here. Either we go on the offensive now or we… Read more »

ras52
ras52 (@ras52)
Reply to  BowserB

Bowser, I hear ya! We should be able to defeat them if all gunowners turn out on election day, but many don`t show up to vote.